Overstayed Your Visa

Full Video Transcript

Those visiting the U.S. on a visa should carefully consider the dates authorized. If you overstay your trip, even by one day, you will be in violation of U.S. immigration laws, your visa will be automatically voided, and you may be ineligible for a visa in the future. To extend your stay, visitors must contact the Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to request an application to extend status. But an extension isn't necessarily automatically awarded. If your visa has already expired, you may still be able to file for an extension. Generally, you must prove that the delay was reasonable and due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control. As long as you're otherwise in good standing, then the extension may be granted. For more information about what to do if you've overstayed your visa, contact an immigration attorney in your area today.

Additional Visiting the United States Videos

Search LawInfo's Visiting the United States Resources

Dallas Visiting the United States Attorneys