Remedies For Victims Of Police Misconduct

Full Video Transcript

If you've been the victim of police misconduct, you can file a complaint about it, either first with the Department of Justice or by filing a lawsuit in court, depending on the particular circumstances. When a complaint is filed, the Department of Justice has the authority to investigate and can force law enforcement agencies to change discriminatory policies and procedures. If the misconduct in your situation involves a particular law enforcement officer or officers, they may be held separately accountable under law. Our rights under the antidiscrimination laws are extremely important and are in place to protect citizens from unlawful harassment, abuse, discrimination, and other misconduct. If you've been falsely arrested, searched inappropriately, been treated with excessive force by the police, or other situation, then you may very well have grounds for a lawsuit, including a right to compensation for the violation of your rights and your suffering.

Additional Police Misconduct Videos

Search LawInfo's Police Misconduct Resources